What is Osteopathy?
Osteopathy is a system of diagnosis and treatment that addresses structural and functional problems within the body involving the musculo-skeletal system such as: muscles, bones, ligaments and connective tissue.
Osteopathy uses gentle hands-on manipulative techniques to help correct any underlying structural or functional factors that are the cause of your physical problems. Each treatment is tailored to the individual needs of the patient.
Who has Osteopathy?
People turn to Osteopathy to help with all sorts of physical complaints caused by diseases, strains and accidents which are the source of pain and discomfort. Osteopathy is a gentle and safe treatment suitable for everyone from babies and children to adults and the elderly.
- Myofascial (soft tissue) techniques, these involve a range of gentle treatments applied to muscles and fascia designed to stretch and release soft tissue and joint related restrictions
- Trigger point Therapy. The primary purpose of trigger point therapy is to reduce the pain that results from hypersensitive muscles. These trigger points can cause a range of problems ranging from headaches and dizziness to distantly referred pain. These can be especially problematic after accidents involving the head being thrown forward and backward at speed
- Muscle Energy Techniques, these rely on the fact that muscles often work in pairs and as one contracts it opposite number will relax. There is also a period just after a muscle has stopped contracting that it is in a more relaxed state and can be stretched more easily. These reflexes can be used to release restricted joints and stretch soft tissues around the body.
- Manipulation, these are manouvres that are used to increase the range of movement of stiff and locked joints which can lead to stress on surrounding tissues and joints which can lead to pain. Manipulations can sometimes have a bad press due to complications that have been reported but these are safe techniques when applied appropriately.
- Taping Techniques, Taping can be used for a number of different reasons but may be used as part of a treatment to protect joints, reduce pain and swelling, correct posture
- Osteopathy in the Cranial Field, these are powerful yet gentle techniques which use the bodies innate power to bring about a resolution of symptoms. These are techniques especially appropriate for the treatment of newborn babies and frail adults although they can be used to address most problems and age groups.
Cranial osteopathy is a form of osteopathy that uses gentle techniques to bring about change and restore balance to the body. Using highly trained palpatory skills, cranial osteopaths can detect and release areas of tension and restriction found within the body. This type of treatment can be used to address all types of patients and conditions although it is particularly appropriate form of treatment for babies, frail elderly and chronically ill patients where gentle forms of treatment are necessary.
Cranial treatment is frequently used to address conditions such as glue ear, colic, sleeplessness, birth trauma, feeding problems or just a general irritibility in babies whilst it is frequently used in patients with headaches and general pain.